Friday, December 1, 2006

NEVER douse yourself in GASOLINE!!!!

Okay, so parts of this are a little comical when you think of it, but really I'm not quite to the laughing part of it yet. If you want to laugh at me fine--give me a week and I'll join you. Anyway....last night we made a fire and were going to enjoy a nice quiet evening at home. I had called wings to go and placed an order for Randy and I and started the boys pizza in the oven. I then left to go get the wings and noticed I was low on gas. I pulled over into the gas station across from the wing stop and filled my tank. When I went to pull the nozzle out of the tank it got stuck and gasoline was gushing off the side of the car and drenched me. It went directly into my face and soaked my eyes.

So I'm screaming for someone to help me across the street and into the gas station. Some very very very sweet high school aged girl took my around my shoulders and tried the best she could to help me in. She told me to step up but a little too late and I fell and busted my knee on the concrete. So, we make it into the bathroom (screaming the whole time) and start washing my eyes with water. Then the fire department arrived with some oxyginated water? Whatever it was, it really helped sooth my eyes. Then about that time Randy arrived then the ambulance. The ambulance took my blood pressure and it was something over 112...the emt said that's got to be wrong and told the girl to take it again...it went down to 110!

They told Randy to go home and get me some clothes, but I said no please go to the hospital. Well, I'm glad he went and got me clothes, bc when he got to the house the pizza was black and smoking in the oven (thank you lord for the fire depatment not having ot come to our house as well!)

So the ambulance got me to the hospital and by this time I said I new my blood pressure was getting lower bc I could feel my knee hurting! The staff and the hospital didn't know I could hear them all the way down the hall saying "oh my, I can smell gasoline all the way down here." It was so embarissing. But, they did a bunch of stuff to my eyes and gave me some vicoden and made me feel much better. They were all so sweet and no one laughed at me in my face (they may have after I left I don't know). So, today I can see and I am verrrrrrrry thankful. The whole situation could have been much worse. I could have caught on fire or been blind. So, even though my throat is sore (vicoden doesn't get rid of that) and my hair reeks of gasoline...I am okay. Bradley is so tender hearted and he has been really concerned. Anyway, if anyone has any tips on how to remove the gasoline oder.......PLEASE SHARE!!!

P.S. For those of you who know Randy, he isn't the most sensative person ever...he's pretty tough! Well, last night he was the most wonderfull, sweetest caring husband ever in the whole world. He couldn't have done things any better last night than what he did! I LOVE him!

7 comments:

Patti said...

I am so glad that you are all right!!! Your guardian angel must have a whopper of a headache!!!

Candice said...

I'm so sorry Laura! That must have been terrible.

When I was about 10, my mom let me pump the gas on our way to a church event.When she told me to stop pumping I just pulled the nozzle out without releasing the handle and I sprayed gas all over my mom. I'm thankful that I didn't get any in her eyes or mouth, but she wasn't so happy about it.

I'm thankful you are okay.

Monica said...

I am very glad you are ok. Is it ok if I giggled a little as this is a total Laura story!! It reminds me of the time you shut your finget in a door and was stuck at the top of the door with no one to rescue you. I have many Laura injury stories and I will add this one to the book. I can't imagine how bad it must hurt to have gas in your eyes!! I wish I had a tip for the gas smell. That would be bad. I hate the smell of gas. I hope it goes away soon. BECAREFUL!!!! No more Laura stories for awhile ok. I think this should do it for about a year. Love you buddy

Laura Scott said...

It's okay if you laugh a little. I mean part of me laughs at the thought what kind of idiot gets drenched with gasoline? But then I cry at the thought(seriously) of having to fill my car up again. Maybe this will pass by the time I have to fill up again. I've thought about paying someone at the station five dollars to fill my car up, since they don't have full service stations anymore. I'm scared to death. It really really was painful.

jaime s said...

Laura---so glad you are ok. I can't believe what a simple stop can turn into. I'm glad your hubby took great care of you!!

I don't have any "real answers" for the gas in the hair thing but I know that baking soda (not baking powder) is supposed to take the odors out of most anything (vomit on the carpet, poo on the carpet (we used to have puppies), onion in the fridge, etc.) I would recommend wetting your hair, sprinkle baking soad on it (lots of baking soda), lather it as best you can and wrap your wet baking soad hair in saran wrap for about 20 min. Then wash it out. I can't guarantee anything but it's worth a shot. Let me know. I'll ask some hair stylist friends and get back with you!

jaime s said...

did the baking soda work?????

mcjacobsjournal said...

Laura!!! You poor thing! I was reading your post with my mouth wide open in disbelief! I am so sorry you had to go through the pain of that. And, you're right...you're lucky it wasn't worse---for you OR the burning pizza at home!

I was kind of laughing at trying to get the gasoline smell out of your hair....it just reminded me of how absolutely NASTY we smelled after bid night! What did we use then? Wasn't it Dawn liquid soap? About 30 washes with it, and I think I could walk around without people holding their noses. :)

good luck. keep us posted on what works!!